What is R Programming Language?
R language is an open source program maintained by the R core-development team. It is a team of volunteer developers from across the globe.
- R language used for performing statistical operations
- It is available from the R-Project website www.r-project.org.
- R is a command line driven program.
- The user enters commands at the prompt (> by default) and each command is executed one at a time.
Many routines have been written for R analytics by people all over the world and made freely available from the R project Website as packages. However, the basic installation (for Linux, Windows, or Mac) contains a powerful set of tools for most purposes.
R is a consolidated environment for performing statistical operations and generating R data analysis reports in graphical or text formats. R commands entered in the console are evaluated and executed. So, it cannot handle certain auto-formatting characters such as en-dashes or smart quotes; therefore, you need to be careful while copying and pasting commands into R from other applications. Let us now learn something about the history of R in this Introduction to R Programming.
Why Learn R Programming Language?
- R programming language is best for statistical, data analysis and machine learning. By using this language we can create objects, functions, and packages. We can use it anywhere. It’s platform- independent, so we can apply it to all operating system. It’s free, so anyone can install it in any organization without purchasing a license.
- R is open source. Thus, Google is utilizing R programming as it is a suitable language. By using R, we can create any form of statistics and data manipulation. Furthermore, we can use it in
almost every field like finance, marketing, sports etc.
- R, SAS, and SPSS are three statistical languages. Of these three statistical languages, R is the only an open source. SAS is the most important private software business in the world. SPSS is now overseen by IBM. R Programming is extensible and hence, R groups are noted for its energetic contributions. Lots of Rs typical features can be written in R itself and hence, R has gotten faster over time and serves as a glue language.
Features of R
- It supports procedural programming with functions and object-oriented programming with generic functions. Procedural programming includes procedure, records, modules, and procedure calls. While object-oriented programming language includes class, objects, and functions.
- Packages are part of R programming. Hence, they are useful in collecting sets of R functions into a single unit.
- Rs programming features include database input, exporting data, viewing data, variable labels, missing data, etc.
- R is an interpreted language. Hence, we can access it through command line interpreter.
- R supports matrix arithmetic.
- It has effective data handling and storage facilities.
- R supports a large pool of operators for performing operations on arrays and matrices.
- It has facilities to print the reports for the analysis performed in the form of graphs either on-screen or on hardcopy.