CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets. CSS is a standard style sheet language used for describing the presentation (i.e. the layout and formatting) of the web pages.Prior to CSS, nearly all of the presentational attributes of HTML documents were contained within the HTML markup (specifically inside the HTML tags); all the font colors, background styles, element alignments, borders and sizes had to be explicitly described within the HTML.As a result, development of the large websites became a long and expensive process, since the style information were repeatedly added to every single page of the website.To solve this problem and improve web presentation capabilities CSS was introduced by World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) in 1996. CSS was designed to enable the separation of presentation and content. Now web designers can move the formatting information of the web pages to a separate style sheet which results in considerably simpler HTML markup, and better maintainability.
- CSS Save Lots of Time — CSS gives lots of flexibility to set the style properties of an element. You can write CSS once; and then the same code can be applied to the groups of HTML elements, and can also be reused in multiple HTML pages.
- Easy Maintenance — CSS provides an easy means to update the formatting of the documents, and to maintain the consistency across multiple documents. Because the content of the entire set of web pages can be easily controlled using one or more style sheets.
- Pages Load Faster — CSS enables multiple pages to share the formatting information, which reduces complexity and repetition in the structural contents of the documents. It significantly reduces the file transfer size, which results in a faster page loading.
- Superior Styles to HTML — CSS has much wider presentation capabilities than HTML and provide much better control over the layout of your web pages. So you can give far better look to your web pages in comparison to the HTML presentational elements and attributes.
- Multiple Device Compatibility — CSS also allows web pages to be optimized for more than one type of device or media. Using CSS the same HTML document can be presented in different viewing styles for different rendering devices such as desktop, cell phones, etc.
This module you can learn CSS using different Tests and become better Web developer.For reference you can go through chapters.